wakeonlan

Installation and configuration.
thomascheng

wakeonlan

Post by thomascheng »

Hi,

I've install afanasy server and render on a small ubuntu 16.04 render farm. I was able to get everything to work correctly, except for wakeonlan magic packet to wake up a computer from sleep.

I've already manually put a client computer to sleep and was able to wake it up using a terminal command from another computer:
sudo wakeonlan -i [ipaddress] [hardware address]

I'm pretty sure the bios and ubuntu is already configured for wakeonlan to work, but I'm not sure what I need to configure on afanasy to make it work. If you can point me in the right direction, much would be appreciated. Thanks.
timurhai
Site Admin

Re: wakeonlan

Post by timurhai »

Hi.
Wake-on-lan states:
1. Free for enough time, ("free" and "time" are configured in a farm setup).
2. Server adds a wakeonlan task in a system job.
3. System job task goes on a ready afrender, puts render node to WOL Falling state, this state you can see in GUI.
4. Afrender constructs and run command.
5. Command finishes success (command exist and permissions are enough to run it).
6. Machine sleeps.
7. Afrender stops to send resources to server.
8. Afserver did not received any messages from a machine for ZOMBIETIME.
9. If render node "Online" it became "Offline", if render node is "WOL Falling" it became "Sleeping", state change should be shown in GUI.

You should find out what stage does not works for you?
I see "sudo" in your sleeping command, default linux afrender runs under "render" user, does it exist in sudo group?
User that afrender run under, should have enough rights to execute sleep command.
Timur Hairulin
CGRU 3.3.1, Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, MS Windows 10 (clients only).
thomascheng

Re: wakeonlan

Post by thomascheng »

Thank you. I might have found the problem.