Arch?

Installation and configuration.
priel71

Arch?

Post by priel71 »

Hi,

Having some issues installing cgru on a arch linux distro. It seems to break with the python version installed (Version = 3.6.0 (default, Jan 16 2017, 12:12:55). If I change the symlink /usr/bin/python over from python3.6 to python2.7 cgru starts working again. I noticed the problem first when trying to do a walk.py from Rules, which was giving me some strange errors about --thumb now a valid option etc.

Another issue with Arch, is that the startup scripts doesn't work. I have made some systemd service files, and they seem to work by starting the afserver and afrender scripts from /usr/local/bin instead. Not sure if this is causing any issues down the road though...?

Overall cgru feels very strange on this Arch install, rules is complaining about "Error: Can`t execute commands. Ensure that Keeper is running and authorized." when I try to open a folder etc. It seems rules is not able to communicate with keeper at all. Sending jobs to afserver works however, and I can see the jobs from afwatch when I start it from the keeper icon. Any ideas?

Peter.

Ps. Arch is a fantastic distro, any plans on supporting it?
timurhai
Site Admin

Re: Arch?

Post by timurhai »

Python: Never tested the project with Python3.6.
What does not work? Keeper? What is the error message?

Arch: Can't have all distros by hand. Help will be very appreciated.

Browser can`t execute system commands for security reasons. It sends a command to keeper. RULES assuming to work through HTTPS protocol. Also browsers does not allow HTTP content within HTTPS for security reasons too. So browser asks keeper to execute commands via HTTPS protocol. You should generate a certificate for keeper server to listen HTTPS:
https://github.com/CGRU/cgru/blob/maste ... ttps.py#L6
Then you should make browser to trust this your certificate:
Keeper tray menu -> Configure -> HTTPS Server...
And add a security exception in a browser.
Timur Hairulin
CGRU 3.3.1, Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, MS Windows 10 (clients only).
priel71

Post by priel71 »

I could maintain a Arch package on AUR. I'm not proficiently enough to debug python code however, is there a global switch or setting in the compile / setup files where I can set Cgru and the python variable to use python2 instead of the default python (which links to python3 by default in arch)?

Regarding documentation, this is a problem. I think Cgru is an incredible well thought out piece of software, well maintained and bug free. But the many undocumented features are probably an issue that most people face when installing it, and due to this might give up... I'd be happy to help out if possible, could spend some time writing some howtos etc. I see you have a github doc repo, would you prefer it there or somewhere else? Maybe as stickies in this forum would be easiest? As long as I can edit the posts while writing them since I'm still figuring things out as I progress.. And I've had Cgru installed since 2013. :oops:
timurhai
Site Admin

Post by timurhai »

Hi.
Yes, documentation is always lacks...
But always work in progress! Just added:
http://cgru.info/keeper#keeper_commands

Better to have a stand-alone documentation, site.
And you can edit it on GitHub and test it there too http://cgru.github.io/.

But you can also write something in this forum, update.
It can be moved on GitHub too, later.

Arch: Better to user Python3, so we need to check what does not work.
Timur Hairulin
priel71

Post by priel71 »

Ok! I will help you out as much as possible, least I can do for using this software for so many years. I was thinking I'd write a setup guide for Rules, since it's something I'm exploring right now and planning on using as our main pipeline software here in the studio. SO while my memory is fresh, I might as well document as much as I can.

There's a few cryptic settings which has me confused, and I'll post them in the Rules forum.

Regarding Python 3, it compiles fine, and afwatch works good... it seems the main problems are in the .py scripts.. like for instance the walk.py script which refuses to run and complains of missing "--thumb" option. I will switch back to python3 later and give you all the error messages.

Peter.
priel71

Post by priel71 »

Please disregard this for the moment, a update of pyqt from arch seems to have fixed the issue of segfaulting. I will run some more test to make sure. Thanks and sorry for the wrong report.

Peter.

Hi, I linked back my python in /usr/bin to python3. Then I rebuilt afanasy from a clean build environment... all was good.
However, starting keeper.p is a no go. Not much info given, just a segfault as below:

peter@sn3aky[~/Code/cgru]: python -V
Python 3.6.0
peter@sn3aky[~/Code/cgru]: source setup.sh
CGRU_VERSION 2.2.1 : '/home/peter/Code/cgru'
peter@sn3aky[~/Code/cgru]: python utilities/keeper/keeper.py
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
peter@sn3aky[~/Code/cgru]: python2 -V
Python 2.7.13
peter@sn3aky[~/Code/cgru]: python2 utilities/keeper/keeper.py
Starting HTTPS server "https://localhost:50443/" with cert "/home/peter/Code/cgru/utilities/keeper/serverhttps.pem".
Listening 50999 port...

Let me know if I can help troubleshoot.
Last edited by priel71 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
timurhai
Site Admin

Post by timurhai »

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
- this is most probably not a CGRU problem, may be some PyQt (PySide) does not work somehow
Timur Hairulin
priel71

Post by priel71 »

I found a small hack for getting cgru to work better in an updated Arch install. The main issue is that Arch maps python to it's always updated and bleeding edge python3 version(3.6), most other distros still link to python2. I have not understood why python3 does not work well with the py scripts in cgru (a bit over my comprehension level), but for a quick workaround you can make a symlink in /home/render/bin to python2. This will then override the system's link and afserver / afrender will work fine.

Peter.
timurhai
Site Admin

Post by timurhai »

Hi.

For now most modern Linux distros has Python3.
And Afanasy packages linked against Python3 for such distros too.
There is no CGRU packages for Arch, assuming that Arch users prefer to build applications themselves (like Gentoo).
Afanasy uses cmake scripts for build. CMake finds the latests python-devel package for a platform.
Just install the latest Python3 developing files on any Linux (or even Windows) and Afanasy will be build linked against Python3.

CGRU supports (and runs by me at work under) Python3 for many years and uses it as the default for Windows and some Linux packages.
If you see some bug that appears in Python3 lets catch and fix it.
CGRU is not Python2 preferred project.
Timur Hairulin
priel71

Post by priel71 »

Hi, happy to help if I can... it builds without any issue, no errors at all. All compiled binaries (afserver, afrender etc) seem to work as expected, however python script does not want to run at all... even a simple script such as thumbs.py. It's very possible I could be doing something wrong, but I have this issue on both my Arch laptops.

Arch is currently on python 3.6.0

Cheers,

Peter.