Walk and multiple roots?

Customize rules.
priel71

Walk and multiple roots?

Post by priel71 »

Hi, what is the reason Rules want to create a .rules folder above the "root" directive? In the below, my "root" is set to /mnt/projects and this is what the walk log tells me:

"updating" :"/mnt", "error_make_dir" :"[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/mnt/.rules'",

Also, is it possible to have several "root" folders for Rules to look in? At the moment only one folder serves as the main place where projects are stored. If the studio uses multiple servers where projects are spread out to due to network load balancing etc, then this approach makes it difficult? I could symlink in the various projects from the other servers by hand, but it would be messy to make path maps for all the keeper integration etc to work.. any thoughts?

Peter.
timurhai
Site Admin

Re: Walk and multiple roots?

Post by timurhai »

Hi.

Hm, walk.py should not do it. Try to execute this Python script by hands.
What walk command Rules have sent to Afanasy?

For now several roots is not possible. But we can discuss it.

Once we have projects on different file-servers.
A script was written and executed on all machines that combine all needed data in one root folder.
This was done for artists. They always have the same paths, even if a project (some part of a project) moved on other file server.
And they should not remember where data is physically located.
Timur Hairulin
CGRU 3.3.1, Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, MS Windows 10 (clients only).
priel71

Post by priel71 »

I will try to run it by hand,... maybe my path mapping is all screwy again. I seem to always struggle with that!

I see, yes it's nice for artists... I guess you are symlinking then? I'm concerned about network bandwidth, and redundancy... we have a 1gb ethernet for the 3d guys and then infiniband for the compers and simulation guys... if I had them all reading / writing from the same server it would surely bottlneck and start crawling speedwise...

Peter.
bazarus

Post by bazarus »

I need multiple root folders/shares too. It still not possible? Now I just create another Afanasy server with another root link.
Afanasy 2.2.3 . Server - Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS. Clients - Windows 7 SP1
timurhai
Site Admin

Post by timurhai »

Several roots in a one rules tree is still not possible.
You always can create root folder (not link) and link there projects from different locations.
But if you are using afanasy for dailies/archves/other you should create a path map for it.
Also you should do something with Open Folder button, it should use paths map too.
Or you can use a solution from my prevous post.
Timur Hairulin
CGRU 3.3.1, Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, MS Windows 10 (clients only).