Task progress 0% and missing options on right click

Strob

Task progress 0% and missing options on right click

Post by Strob »

Hi Timur,

So I installed CGRU.2.2.3 on windows 10 and I was able to render on my farm with 3ds max 2018.3 and V-Ray 3.6. I'm really excited to see it's working!!! :D

but in the task window I have some problems. the task progress always stay at 0% and when I right click a task I don't see all the option that are supposed to be there like preview etc I see only open task, skip task and reset task.

any idea why?
timurhai
Site Admin

Re: Task progress 0% and missing options on right click

Post by timurhai »

This means that task/block does not have "files" parameter. It was not set by submission script.
To debug tasks that hung, better to launch task command just in the system console.
Sometimes windows applications, even command line applications, rise some windows, and waits for the user to close it.
For such cases there is:
http://cgru.info/afanasy/render#windows_must_die
And afrender can close such windows automatically.
Generally MS Windows is the worst platform for a render farm (((
You will always notice more and more bugs using it.
Linux, that was once correctly setup, will work like swiss watches all the time 24*7.
Timur Hairulin
CGRU 3.3.1, Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, MS Windows 10 (clients only).
Strob

Post by Strob »

Wow!!! I want definetely to switch to linux! I want to switch to houdini and linux but for now I still need to use 3ds max in my project and there is no max for linux yet and probably will never be.

You mean I should wite a submission script in the windows command line instead of using afstarter.cmd? Or maybe I can just manually add that -file parameter in the script that I see in afstarter. Because when I use afstarter I see this for example

"python" "C:\cgru.2.2.3\afanasy\python\afjob.py" "\\ISEIJIN\Projets 3D\JOT\JOT_GIGANTO\3dsmax\scenes\testAfanasy\scene.max" 1 100 -by 1 -fpt 10 -seq 1 -os any -pwd "\\ISEIJIN\Projets 3D\JOT\JOT_GIGANTO\3dsmax\scenes\testAfanasy" -name "scene.max"

There is no -file parameter. I add something like -file "path/to/my/render.exe" it should then show the % progresing and thumbnails?
Last edited by Strob on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strob

Post by Strob »

And by the way the tasks are not hanging they just progress without showing me the % in the tasks window.
Strob

Post by Strob »

I think the problem lies in the fact that when rendering with 3ds max and V-Ray, the 3ds max output file checkbox must be off and instead we use the V-Ray VFB output file checkbox to output the file by V-Ray directly instead. So when we do that the submission script in afstarter does not see the image path. But if I enter my image path in afstarter then it will add an -output parameter and then I can see more option when I right click on the task but I still don't see the % progressing...
timurhai
Site Admin

Post by timurhai »

A quick way to test task command is to run task command directly. Not within Afanasy.
Double-click task to receive its data.
Copy command and paste in a console (cmd.exe).

Also CGRU has a script for 3dsmax to run tasks directly from an application.
In application we can query images files and specify it in a job block.
Timur Hairulin
CGRU 3.3.1, Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, MS Windows 10 (clients only).
Strob

Post by Strob »

Ok thanks I will try that!