Setup for 3dsmax on Windows 10 - beginner!

Installation and configuration.
Kazza

Setup for 3dsmax on Windows 10 - beginner!

Post by Kazza »

Hi there,
This software looks amazing, but so far I'm struggling to get it to work for me.
I have found this blog which I have followed as closely as possible (I found there are no basic instructions for someone who is an end-user, not a programmer or tech person):
http://ramellij.blogspot.com/2015/06/ho ... rfarm.html
I work for myself and have no dedicated IT person to set this up for me, so it's a steep learning curve for someone who doesn't know much about scripts and databases etc.

When I launch the server, I get error messages in the windows cmd window:

Code: Select all

CGRU_VERSION 3.2.1
"Using CGRU Python: C:\cgru.3.2.1\python"
Executable path: C:\cgru.3.2.1\afanasy\bin\afserver.exe
Compilation date = 'Aug 17 2021 10:09:43'
CGRU version = '3.2.1'
Afanasy build version = '3.2.1'
Afanasy build revision = '1250437d5fd395e18ab8a448434bc1e17f8a8b3a'
Python version = '3.9.6'
Tue 11 Jan 10:44.40: WARNING Config file does not exist: C:\cgru.3.2.1\config.json
Tue 11 Jan 10:44.40: WARNING Config file does not exist:
Database connection "AFDB_update" is not working.
Tue 11 Jan 10:44.44: INFO    Reading store file: "c:/temp/afanasy\server.json"
AFERROR: AFDB_upTables: Database connect failed: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
        Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
        Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
From my limited understanding it seems it's reading 127.0.0.1 as my localhost, though I have attempted to set my IP through keeper.

In addition to that, when I try and send a render through 3ds max, using the submission script, I get a max script error and the listener pops up with this line highlighted:

local cmd = "\"" + systemTools.getEnvVariable("AF_ROOT") + "\\python\\" + "afjob.py\""
Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Many thanks
timurhai
Site Admin

Re: Setup for 3dsmax on Windows 10 - beginner!

Post by timurhai »

Hi!
Try to make and check that Afanasy system is working. Then try to setup/check some soft (3dsmax).
You can ignore messages about database connection fails (as you are not a big studio, you probably do not need database statistics at all).
At first you should have a running afserver, afrender and afwatch GUI (at first on the same machine).
And clients (afrender and afwatch) should be connected to afserver.

You should run afserver, than afrender, than afwatch and see you first render client in afwatch GUI in the Farm section.
Than you can try to manipulate render, for example pause & unpause - it should work.

Your machine firewall can make afserver unable to listen any port, so it can't accept clients. To to turn firewall off, or make an exception.
Timur Hairulin
CGRU 3.3.1, Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, MS Windows 10 (clients only).
Kazza

Post by Kazza »

Hi timur,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I have had some success - I have followed the steps you've suggested and everything seems to be connecting.

I have submitted a job outside of 3ds max, initally I got a license error for max but now it seems to be working (see screenshot)

Now, I'm left with the problem of the maxscript error when I try to submit within 3ds max, which is predominantly how I would like to submit my jobs. (I have also been unable to get the menu integrations in max, I have tried adding the path to the startup.ms script in customise user paths to no avail - instead I manually ran the afanasy.mcr inside of 3dsmax, and added it as a toolbar button)

Do you have any suggestions?
Many thanks
Attachments
afanasy error.png
afanasy error.png (9.17 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
Kazza

Post by Kazza »

Update in addition to the above: I am trying to submit to max 2022 and the licencing error I mentioned above with the screenshot is occurring and won't launch max.
timurhai
Site Admin

Post by timurhai »

You latest screenshot attachment is not a license error, it is a Qt plugins error.
After whan exactly that error dialog is raising?

May be 2022 Max installation got own Qt or PySide too?
Try to remove line

set "QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH=%python%\Lib\site-packages\PySide2\plugins"
from

cgru/setup_python.cmd
file.
Timur Hairulin
CGRU 3.3.1, Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, MS Windows 10 (clients only).